If you have been considering purchasing organic foods but have reservations about the benefits vs. the cost, here are several compelling reasons you should eat organic food. First and foremost, it is much healthier for you. This is especially true when eating fruits and vegetables since organic produce are not covered with pesticides like conventional produce. Second, it is better for the environment; the soil is healthier, water cleaner and it helps to protect wildlife.
A tremendous number of people believe that eating organic foods provides the best benefit regarding health. Organic foods consist of about 50% more nutrients, vitamins, and minerals than commercial foods. What people know about organic foods most commonly refers to fruits and vegetables. However, other organic products are available which contain about the same amount of healthful value.
Inorganic foods are grown using pesticides and chemicals which are harmful to our health. It has also been stated that imported food is found to have slightly higher pesticide levels than those grown within the country since it has to travel further. Therefore, is important that you eat food that has been grown locally or as close to the source as possible.
So without further ado here is a list of top 10 foods that we picked that you should aim to eat organic. Eating these foods will lower your pesticide intake level and boost your health:
1. Meats (beef, pork, chicken) – The food that nonorganic animals are fed contain, GM Ingredients, many antibiotics, and synthetic growth hormones. It is likely that these harmful substances will be present in the meat which we eat.
2. Fish – There are many pesticides and chemicals which end up in the water that the fish live in which can make its way onto our plate.
3. Milk – Cows are fed with grains, hormones, and antibiotics that are covered in pesticides, which ends up in the milk that we drink.
4. Butter – Organic butter uses more quality ingredients and contains fewer toxins and pollutants than regular butter.
5. Eggs – Pesticides are often transferred from the chicken to the egg. Organic eggs are not subject to antibiotics or hormones.
6. Wine – Due to the high levels of pesticides in grapes it is very likely that wine contains high levels of pesticides as well.
7. Chocolate – Cocoa beans are grown across the developing world where pesticide regulations aren’t so important. This means that the chocolate you eat contains pesticides.
8. Apples – When it comes to eating organically, apples are always rated high. So eat organic apples so as to avoid pesticides.
9. Coffee – Much of the coffee grown abroad doesn’t have to be tested for chemicals quite so much as in the UK. Coffee is the most sprayed crop in the world with over 300 different chemicals reported to be used.
10. Potatoes – Pesticides are often found in potatoes, even after cleaning. Nearly 80% of potatoes contain pesticides.